Re: What do we do about perl -pi on Windows?

From:
Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
Date:
Re: What do we do about perl -pi on Windows?
Message ID:
AANLkTinXDPUkEnkk_DSY0Tg2qK+MTXHsBWAVG+kzBx5f@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 22:44, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <avar@cpan.org> wrote:

> Shouldn't we either die loudly saying that Windows doesn't support
> clobbering with "perl -pi"

It turns out (as pointed out by Jan Dubois) that we've been doing
exactly that since Perl 3:

    http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/ff8e2863?hp=8725079938

Since about then we've been dying on DOSISH and AMIGA, it's just
Cygwin that's the exception.

Maybe that exception can be removed now? It was just added as a
workaround to get the KDE build system working on Cygwin. It seems odd
to have such a monkeypatch in perl core.