Re: PATCH: [perl #76424] revised: document existing \x \000 behavior

From:
karl williamson
Date:
Re: PATCH: [perl #76424] revised: document existing \x \000 behavior
Message ID:
4C6029DC.9040907@khwilliamson.com
Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> * karl williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> [2010-07-12 19:35]:
>> \x without the braces is only for 'narrow' or 'short'
>> characters. I'm not sure which would be the better term. 'wide'
>> and 'long' are used variously in other pods.
>
> Perl itself says “wide characters”, as does the rest of the world
> when speaking about encodings like UTF-8, which are called
> “variable width” to boot.
>
> The opposite of “wide” is “narrow”.
>
> (If I read “long character” somewhere, my first instinct would
> actually be to think of grapheme clusters.)
>
> Warm regards and pretty sheds,

What I ended up doing was calling it "restricted-range".  And, as I've
said before, I think things like this aren't (necessarily) bike-shedding
issues.