Re: PATCH: [perl #76424] revised: document existing \x \000 behavior

From:
Eric Brine
Date:
Re: PATCH: [perl #76424] revised: document existing \x \000 behavior
Message ID:
AANLkTimJdBEYZBNB+hoTg0L7uh7W24hNeWpoCf8CRiio@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de>wrote:

> * karl williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> [2010-07-12 19:35]:
> > \x without the braces is only for 'narrow' or 'short'
> > characters. I'm not sure which would be the better term. 'wide'
> > and 'long' are used variously in other pods.
>
> Perl itself says “wide characters”, as does the rest of the world
> when speaking about encodings like UTF-8, which are called
> “variable width” to boot.
>
> The opposite of “wide” is “narrow”.

"single-byte" is the expression with which I am familiar.

Well, other than MS's "ANSI", but I wouldn't use that here!

- Eric Brine