Re: [perl #77062] Devel::DProf can't restrict to only use subroutines in the main file

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
Re: [perl #77062] Devel::DProf can't restrict to only use subroutines in the main file
Message ID:
20100809083413.GS48531@plum.flirble.org
On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 12:48:41AM -0700, Nigel Horne wrote:

> [Please describe your issue here]
>
> It would be useful to have an option to dprofpp stopping output from
> subroutines defined in packages and only producing output from the main
> program file.

In the context of Devel::DProf, I agree that this would be a useful feature.

However, in the wider context of the Perl core distribution, I think it
unlikely to happen. I'm not the one making policy on this, but I think it
likely that Devel::DProf will be removed from the core distribution in the
next release or two, because the way it is implemented (using the system clock)
means that its "results" are turning into noise as CPUs get faster, and
there's no way to fix it. For a fuller explanation see:

http://blog.timbunce.org/2008/07/12/devel-dprof-broken-by-the-passage-of-time/

Have you tried using Devel::NYTProf instead on your code?
I believe that the way it generates results pages, you can get a listing of
just the subroutines in the main program.

(and if not, or not quite what you want, wishlist bugs submitted for
Devel::NYTProf are most welcome.)

Nicholas Clark