Re: unicode_strings feature

From:
karl williamson
Date:
Re: unicode_strings feature
Message ID:
4C5E214A.1060007@khwilliamson.com
Eric Brine wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The documented purpose of unicode_strings is make these equivalent.
>
>> perl -le"my $s = chr(0xE1); utf8::upgrade($s); print $s =~ /[[:alpha:]]/
> ?1:0"
> 1
>
>> perl -le"use feature 'unicode_strings'; my $s = chr(0xE1); print $s =~
> /[[:alpha:]]/ ?1:0"
> 0
>
> What am I missing?
> Eric Brine
>
> Perl 5.12.1

 From feature.pm:

=head2 the 'unicode_strings' feature

C<use feature 'unicode_strings'> tells the compiler to treat
all strings outside of C<use locale> and C<use bytes> as Unicode. It is
available starting with Perl 5.11.3.

See L<perlunicode/The "Unicode Bug"> for details.

That section in perlunicode.pod is too long too extract here, but it
lists the 4 affected areas, including the one you mentioned, and says
that the only area implemented is the one for changing the case uc(),
et.al.  I thought I had submitted a patch to make that 5 areas, with
more detail about things like [[:alpha:]], but it isn't in blead, nor my
  work areas.  I don't know what happened there.

My main goal for 5.14 is to fix the Unicode bug completely.  I have a
patch prepared to fix it for \s and \w; and am waiting on the regex
modifiers decision before submitting both things in the same patch
sequence, as the patch was submitted in time for 5.12, but was rejected
for lack of the regex modifiers.

However, it is not clear that [[:alpha:]] will ever match chr(0xe1).
This list needs to soon have a conversation about that, but I've held
off starting it to avoid putting too many Unicode things out there at
the same time.  I plan to outline the issues in a post as soon as there
is a resolution to the regex modifiers. which I anticipate happening in
a few days.