develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2010

perltodo: move perltodo to a more web-friendly, interactive location

From:
David Golden
Date:
perltodo: move perltodo to a more web-friendly, interactive location
Message ID:
AANLkTimADn+6Z9fSjLhYJxw3LTUpyErxA8ZBtDYKJ1cY@mail.gmail.com
Schwern gave an awesome lightning talk at OSCON in which he
implemented a new feature in perl5i *live*.  (Live lightning talk!
The horror!  The danger!  The brilliance.)

Admittedly, it was an "easy" feature and rehearsed[1], but he showed every step:

* Looking on github for an easy feature to implement (
http://github.com/schwern/perl5i/issues )
* Writing a (failing) test for it
* Writing the documentation
* Writing the feature
* Committing

It has me thinking that perltodo is static (I actually never think to
look there) and I have no idea how well it overlaps with RT -- which
isn't exactly the friendliest interface anyway.  (Sorry, Jesse -- it's
a great, industrial strength tool, but has that dull-gray industrial
sheen to it as well.)

It's possible that a simple interface like github would become an
unwieldy mess under the weight of our 1500+ open tickets, so I'm not
saying we have to abandon RT for a shiny new interface.  (Though I
still hope to see rt.perl.org get the new interface that rt.cpan.org
has.)

Still, I like to see perltodo migrated to RT at a minimum so we have
*one* issue tracker.  That might mean more tags for rt so we can
capture the different todo categories better.  And then I'd like to
see some sort of friendlier summary interface sitting on top of RT to
help potential new contributors get oriented.  I like the Perl 5 Bug
Summary page ( http://rt.perl.org/rt3/NoAuth/perl5/Overview.html ) but
I think it can be overwhelming.  I want a simpler "here's stuff you
can work on" page.

Maybe I'm dreaming -- and I'm not volunteering my own tuits (already
pledged to other tasks) -- but I wanted to float the idea and see what
people think and see if someone with tuits would be willing to take
this on.

-- David

[1] "Rehearsed" in the 20 minutes Schwern had between being told by
Geoff that he had to give a talk and actually giving it