develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2010

? Support for extending recognizing numbers composed of non-ASCIIdigits

From:
karl williamson
Date:
July 25, 2010 13:49
Subject:
? Support for extending recognizing numbers composed of non-ASCIIdigits
Message ID:
4C4CA32F.2090402@khwilliamson.com
I'm considering the possibility of extending the recognition of numbers
to beyond the ASCII digits to other scripts, such as arabic, devanagari,
etc.

I found a way to do this reasonably efficiently, and I think without
security issues.

This would partially solve the issue of \d matching things that Perl
doesn't consider numeric.  The reason it wouldn't solve it completely is
that for security reasons this would not allow mixing of scripts in a
single number, and \d+ will continue to do so until we come up with some
optional way to restrict that.

Basically the first digit in a number would determine the script, and
all succeeding characters would have to be in that same script.

Is this something to pursue, or not?