develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2010

Re: [perl #76438] peephole optimiser could prune more dead code

From:
demerphq
Date:
Re: [perl #76438] peephole optimiser could prune more dead code
Message ID:
AANLkTimalZfVVNSCVPxfYI-f-SJ1YQL3tFYsIfwudcwg@mail.gmail.com
On 12 July 2010 20:30, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 06:06:15PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
>> gvsv is just checking magic and doing the sideeffect
>
> Huh? gvsv doesn't call magic.
>
> Also, just as a data point, note that pp_concat *explicitly* calls get
> magic twice on $a . $a:
>
>        if (left == right)
>            /* $r.$r: do magic twice: tied might return different 2nd time */
>            SvGETMAGIC(right);

Id like to argue that this was misguided. I dont think we guarantee
any particular order in this case for the fetch calls and thus the
statement is /still/ undefined even with this change.

cheers,
Yves