develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2010

Re: PATCH: [perl #76424] revised: document existing \x \000 behavior

From:
David Golden
Date:
Re: PATCH: [perl #76424] revised: document existing \x \000 behavior
Message ID:
AANLkTinRI4q0CB65LIT28hFfXyCGBsghcDuTVtqfiGaQ@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 7:10 PM, karl williamson
<public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
> Here is a revised patch based on people's feedback.
>
> I think it is a waste of time to worry too much about the wording of the
> \000 part, as I'm close to submitting patches that clean up a number of the
> problems, and so the wording is in flux anyway.

After reading through the revised patch, two thoughts came to mind:

* I'd like to see octal escapes moved to the bottom of the list.  The
most confusing one should not be first.

* Should we just flag octal escapes as "discouraged" (note -- not
"deprecated") due to the legacy confusion?  Are your other patches
coming going to fix this octal mess?

-- David