develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2010

Re: [perl.git] branch blead, updated. v5.13.1-198-g0cb20da

From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
June 16, 2010 03:41
Re: [perl.git] branch blead, updated. v5.13.1-198-g0cb20da
Message ID:
4C18AA4C.8090205@cpan.org
hv@crypt.org wrote:
> Rafael Garcia-Suarez <rgs@consttype.org> wrote:
> :On 15 June 2010 22:45, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> :> Other than Mandriva, does every OS distribution ship a threaded perl?
> :
> :Unfortunately, Mandriva now ships a threaded perl. I think that a 3rd
> :party app written in perl was requiring threads, so they punished
> :every perl user with the performance impact of threads just for that
> :edge case.
>
> We could go some way to addressing this problem if we changed the Makefiles
> so that the default executable name for a threaded build was 'perlthr' or
> somesuch.
>
> Of course the process of getting that out in the wild and updating people's
> expectations would be long and complex. It might be worth the effort though.

Oh, please DON'T do that. It would make me very unhappy.

Why don't we generate perl64bit and perl32bit then? perlmymalloc?
perlsysmalloc?

--Steffen