develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2010

Re: [perl.git] branch blead, updated. v5.13.1-198-g0cb20da

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
June 16, 2010 03:01
Re: [perl.git] branch blead, updated. v5.13.1-198-g0cb20da
Message ID:
AANLkTik6BDwIUYpOJ-pg1uVyzS4Lr_ifTl5-0UzZhf8n@mail.gmail.com
On 16 June 2010 11:47, Steffen Mueller <smueller@cpan.org> wrote:
> That may be my fault.
>
> I started using threads for concurrency in Padre, which is, I believe, the
> app in question.

No, it wasn't Padre; it was a pretty specialized app IIRC.

> Sorry about that. But I firmly believe that if you need a performant perl as
> opposed to a fully-featured one, you should compile your own anyway.

I don't think a default perl should contain every possible feature.
Your reasoning might apply to -DDEBUGGING too, for example, and as far
as I know, everyone thought it was a bad idea when RedHat shipped a
perl with -DDEBUGGING on by default. Sure, it can be useful, but its
use is limited to a tiny percentage of perl users, and has an impact
on everyone -- just like threads.

> PS: I think OSX ships an unthreaded perl?

Not anymore, although if you install it from macports you have an
unthreaded one by default. (just like on BSDs)