develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2010

Re: [perl.git] branch blead, updated. v5.13.1-198-g0cb20da

From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
June 16, 2010 02:47
Re: [perl.git] branch blead, updated. v5.13.1-198-g0cb20da
Message ID:
4C189DBC.4060507@cpan.org
Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
> On 15 June 2010 22:45, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
>> Other than Mandriva, does every OS distribution ship a threaded perl?
>
> Unfortunately, Mandriva now ships a threaded perl. I think that a 3rd
> party app written in perl was requiring threads, so they punished
> every perl user with the performance impact of threads just for that
> edge case.

That may be my fault.

I started using threads for concurrency in Padre, which is, I believe,
the app in question.

Sorry about that. But I firmly believe that if you need a performant
perl as opposed to a fully-featured one, you should compile your own anyway.

--Steffen

PS: I think OSX ships an unthreaded perl?