develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2010

Re: Backwards compatibility breakage proposal for charnames::viacode

From:
demerphq
Date:
May 30, 2010 10:06
Re: Backwards compatibility breakage proposal for charnames::viacode
Message ID:
AANLkTin20vbdBzKOkn3ItuVBcWQ-XmpUrOFTEpUoP6MT@mail.gmail.com
On 30 May 2010 00:22, karl williamson <public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
> viacode is supposed to return Unicode's name for the input ordinal.
>
> The Unicode standard says that the name for any unassigned code point is the
> empty string.  Perl returns undef instead.  My view is that we should change
> to meet the standard, and return undef only for input above the maximum that
> Unicode allows (0x10FFFF).
>
> But since there is a possibility this could break existing code, I thought I
> had better get others' opinions.  In the past, the Standard has had
> precedence on issues like this.

Seems to me like this would be a position they would take that would
be portable across any language, and that for languages that have a
concept of "undefined" it doesnt make much sense.

For instance, would they make this suggestion for storing the table in
an SQL database that supports NULL?

cheers,
Yves