develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2010

Backwards compatibility breakage proposal for charnames::viacode

From:
karl williamson
Date:
May 29, 2010 15:23
Subject:
Backwards compatibility breakage proposal for charnames::viacode
Message ID:
4C0193BD.1050503@khwilliamson.com
viacode is supposed to return Unicode's name for the input ordinal.

The Unicode standard says that the name for any unassigned code point is
the empty string.  Perl returns undef instead.  My view is that we
should change to meet the standard, and return undef only for input
above the maximum that Unicode allows (0x10FFFF).

But since there is a possibility this could break existing code, I
thought I had better get others' opinions.  In the past, the Standard
has had precedence on issues like this.