develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2010

Re: [perl #75350] PATCH: revamp ibcmp_utf8() for efficiency, clarity

From:
Vincent Pit
Date:
May 29, 2010 02:31
Re: [perl #75350] PATCH: revamp ibcmp_utf8() for efficiency, clarity
Message ID:
4C00E027.8060409@profvince.com

>> Anyway, the only other thing that occurs to me is that if it is going
>> to be rewritten, and reindented, could we lose the tabs please?
>
> Is this an unwritten rule that new code shouldn't have tabs?  I'm
> happy to go along with that.  After all, I have learned to mostly do
> uncuddled else's, which is a written rule, though I don't understand
> why it is that way, and sometimes I forget.  The best I can think of
> is that it is from some sort of dyslexia that I and K&R don't happen
> to have (I'm told that's why serifs on fonts were developed);  I've
> read Damian's explanation for "Perl Best Practices", and found it
> totally unconvincing.  Anyway, no need to try to convert me; I'm
> conforming to uncuddled elses.  And I agree it's better to expand
> tabs, my editor can handle that well; I just didn't know.

There's no official rule about space vs tabs. So the only sensible
current policy about it is : "keep it consistent with the surrounding code".

V.