develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2010

What should /\08/ match and do?

From:
karl williamson
Date:
May 28, 2010 09:17
Subject:
What should /\08/ match and do?
Message ID:
4BFFEC7B.8060804@khwilliamson.com
I thought I knew the answer to this, but am now not so sure.

I thought it should match a NUL followed by a digit 8.  That is what it
does now, although it raises the false error message "Illegal octal
digit '8' ignored".  This is false  because it isn't ignored.

I thought I would just silence the message; but it occurs to me that it
would be very unlikely for someone to want to match a NUL followed by
anything else; or is that my C-centric thinking? /\0A/ matches NUL
followed by A with no message.

Anyway I'd see if someone else had any opinions on this.