develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2010

[perl #75350] PATCH: revamp ibcmp_utf8() for efficiency, clarity

From:
karl williamson
Date:
May 26, 2010 05:37
Subject:
[perl #75350] PATCH: revamp ibcmp_utf8() for efficiency, clarity
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-4976-1274811845-1190.75350-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  karl williamson
# Please include the string:  [perl #75350]

The first times I looked at this routine, it seemed incomprehensible.  I
had to come back to it to fix a bug after working on other parts of Perl
for a while, and it wasn't as foreign as before.  But I had to really
understand it, so I started adding comments, and discovered that it was
checking a number of things each time in the loop that could have  been
figured out once.  So I ended up revamping it, keeping the same algorithm.