develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2010

Re: package block syntax

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
May 19, 2010 08:03
Re: package block syntax
Message ID:
20100519150312.GQ2576@plum.flirble.org
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:54:03AM -0400, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 08:57:58PM +0100, Zefram wrote:
> > I wrote:
> > >git://lake.fysh.org/zefram/perl.git branch zefram/package_block.
> >
> > Do we have a decision about whether to use this?
>
> I really do like it. As with any new language feature, I'm worried that
> we may not fully grasp what the "right" semantics should be in some
> subtle way that isn't readily apparent.
>
> My inclination is to commit it with documentation stating that it's an
> experimental feature of Perl 5.14 and that we'd like users to report
> back to us and that in 5.16 it will either be removed, ammended or
> simply blessed as no longer experimental.

Are experimental features always enabled? Or should there be a mechanism
whereby they're not enabled by default?

(I realise that there are a lot of current "experimental" features that have
been around for ages, and the original author(s?)* don't seem to have any
desire to "finish" them, but just because we've done it wrong in the past
doesn't mean that we *have* to make the same old mistakes again. New mistakes
are shinier.)

Nicholas Clark

* For starters, aren't reading this list.