develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2010

Re: [perl #75052] docs perlfunc system() and SIGINT

From:
Kevin Ryde
Date:
May 15, 2010 05:49
Re: [perl #75052] docs perlfunc system() and SIGINT
Message ID:
87y6fm3pei.fsf@blah.blah
"David Golden via RT" <perlbug-followup@perl.org> writes:

> There are some subtle portability issues in that statement, since
> Win32 emulates the signals and a CTRL-C sends a signal that reaches
> all processes attached to the console, including the parent.

Ah dear.  That's probably undesirable.  There's no doubt a place for
both ignoring and not, but you'd like it applied consistently.

I suppose the reason for the signal handling in the corresponding C
library system() func is to let ^C be caught in an interactive child
process without killing off the parent.  That could be helpfully worked
into the description to show the motivation, if some compact words can
be found.

Incidentally where I wrote "... act on the child" it ought to be
"... inherited by the child" of course.  If already ignoring in the
parent then the child starts life ignoring too.