strategy advice needed (5.10 or 5.12?)

From:
Greg Lindahl
Date:
April 29, 2010 14:00
Subject:
strategy advice needed (5.10 or 5.12?)
Message ID:
20100429210023.GB20212@bx9.net
In the past there have been various discussions about getting a modern
perl onto CentOS 5.

We have made 5.10 rpms based on the Fedora 12 rpms, and planned on
making them public, so that a bunch of us don't have to re-do this
work. Safety in numbers, I always say.

With the perl5 new versioning scheme, it sounds like 5.10 is already
behind on bugfixes, but that 5.12 will get bugfixes for quite a while.

And, alas, RHEL 6 is going to ship perl 5.10. Presumably this means
Red Hat plans on backporting fixes. Or something. They don't exactly
have a great track record fixing bugs in what they ship. But, it will
be fairly easy to track whatever bugfixes they do backport.

My quandry is whether I should retarget to 5.12. The only reason not
to is that 5.12 hasn't been packaged by a mainstream distro, yet, and
thus might have not had enough testing.

What do you guys think?

-- greg