develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2010

Re: on dual-lived versions in maint

Thread Previous | Thread Next
Dave Mitchell
April 27, 2010 04:59
Re: on dual-lived versions in maint
Message ID:
On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 08:58:33AM +0200, Steffen Mueller wrote:
> 2) Consideration of each case. If the available new release fixes the  
> bug and isn't fraught with peril, pull it in. Otherwise ask upstream to  
> make an intermediate release we can pull in or -- as a fallback -- do  
> the cherry-picking & dev-versioning thing.

Yep, when I originally put forward my list of minimalist-maint
suggestions, I always envisaged that we would, if possible, keep maint
modules in sync with a CPAN release - but not at the risk of introducing
new functionality and thus a new round of bugs. That's one of the things
that delayed 5.10.1. So we try to persuade the CPAN author to produce a
new release that has only the critical bug fixes and not a whole slew of
new stuff too. If we can't do that, then we cherry-pick the bug fixes as a
last resort.

Modern art:
    "It's easy, I could have done that!"
    "Yes, but you didn't"

Thread Previous | Thread Next Perl Programming lists via nntp and http.
Comments to Ask Bjørn Hansen at | Group listing | About