on dual-lived versions in maint

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
April 26, 2010 14:42
Subject:
on dual-lived versions in maint
Message ID:
20100426214155.GB18350@cancer.codesimply.com
Jesse wrote in http://markmail.org/message/fgz6cykyjs6bejfg ...
> * Updates to dual-life modules should consist of minimal patches to
>   fix crashing or security issues (as above).
>
> * New versions of dual-life modules should NOT be imported into maint.
>   Those belong in the next stable series.

I think the second point can lead to more trouble than is worth, and I'm hoping
it can be softened just a bit.  I think, really, it should be viewed in terms
of the next point from that list:

>   * Patches that add or remove features are not acceptable.

Pod::Simple had a regression in 5.12.0 that makes some Pod documentation render
incorrectly.  This means that some of the core documentation can't be read
coherently, and that plenty of add-on documentation from the CPAN will also
appear incorrectly rendered.  I don't think this is acceptable; maint should be
fixed so that the documentation system works.

If we cut a new release of Pod-Simple, with only a fix to the regression, we're
not adding any features or changing any code, just fixing the serious bug.
We're not backporting a new version "just because," but to fix a bug addressed
by the new version -- which does nothing else!

If we just cherry-pick in the changes, we need to assign a dev version number
that corresponds to nothing outside of core, and for no benefit as far as I can
tell.  I think this makes sense when we've had to invent a new version because
(for example) the bugfix is only available as part of a release with additional
features or behavior changes.

That's all.  I'd like to move ahead with getting a new Pod-Simple out the door
and fixed in core, so I was just hoping for a "yes, that's reasonable" or "no,
never import a new real release to core."  Thanks.

--
rjbs