Re: my (old) ipv6 changes

From:
Paul LeoNerd Evans
Date:
April 19, 2010 00:49
Re: my (old) ipv6 changes
Message ID:
20100419074932.GH19334@cel.leo
On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 02:15:53PM -0700, Jan Dubois wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> >
> > Thanks! I really would be quite thrilled to have 5.14 have proper IPv6
> > support. I'm curious if there's a reason to port the IPv6 functions
> > "directly" into the core rather than to "adopt" Socket6.pm.
>
> http://www.personal.psu.edu/dvm105/blogs/ipv6/2008/02/ipv6-support-in-programming-li.html
> http://eintr.blogspot.com/2009/03/bad-state-of-ipv6-in-perl.html
>
> Adopting Socket6 (and IO::Socket::INET6) into the core would solve
> some of the issues, but having a unified single module interface
> seems preferable.

In case it's of interest, I also wrote a getaddrinfo/getnameinfo wrapper
module

  http://search.cpan.org/~pevans/Socket-GetAddrInfo-0.15/lib/Socket/GetAddrInfo.pm

As well as the XS layer to wrap the C-level functions, it also provides
an emulation to provide gai/gni using only the legacy
gethostbyname/etc.. functions, in case the underlying system doesn't
actually support gai/gni.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/