Re: my (old) ipv6 changes

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
April 18, 2010 14:22
Re: my (old) ipv6 changes
Message ID:
20100418212221.GF9998@plum.flirble.org
On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 02:15:53PM -0700, Jan Dubois wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> >
> > Thanks! I really would be quite thrilled to have 5.14 have proper IPv6
> > support. I'm curious if there's a reason to port the IPv6 functions
> > "directly" into the core rather than to "adopt" Socket6.pm.
>
> http://www.personal.psu.edu/dvm105/blogs/ipv6/2008/02/ipv6-support-in-programming-li.html
> http://eintr.blogspot.com/2009/03/bad-state-of-ipv6-in-perl.html

People still think that (valid) complaints get things to happen in a volunteer
project? :-(

Particularly complaints written on their blog.

> Adopting Socket6 (and IO::Socket::INET6) into the core would solve
> some of the issues, but having a unified single module interface
> seems preferable.
>
> Of course, given where we already are in history, modules will need to
> continue to optionally use Socket6 and IO::Socket::INet6 for backwards
> compatibility anyways, but that argument can then be used to kill
> any kind of simplification for future benefit.

I agree with Jan's reasoning in the last 2 paragraphs.

Yes, I would like to see this fixed. Yes, I can help answer questions.
No, I'm afraid I don't have time to be the one organising it, or doing the
majority of the work.

Nicholas Clark