RE: my (old) ipv6 changes

From:
Jan Dubois
Date:
April 18, 2010 14:16
RE: my (old) ipv6 changes
Message ID:
025601cadf3c$54ea6640$febf32c0$@activestate.com
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> Thanks! I really would be quite thrilled to have 5.14 have proper IPv6
> support. I'm curious if there's a reason to port the IPv6 functions
> "directly" into the core rather than to "adopt" Socket6.pm.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/dvm105/blogs/ipv6/2008/02/ipv6-support-in-programming-li.html
http://eintr.blogspot.com/2009/03/bad-state-of-ipv6-in-perl.html

Adopting Socket6 (and IO::Socket::INET6) into the core would solve
some of the issues, but having a unified single module interface
seems preferable.

Of course, given where we already are in history, modules will need to
continue to optionally use Socket6 and IO::Socket::INet6 for backwards
compatibility anyways, but that argument can then be used to kill
any kind of simplification for future benefit.

Cheers,
-Jan