Re: -Duse64bitint pros and cons

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
April 15, 2010 02:03
Re: -Duse64bitint pros and cons
Message ID:
20100415110244.0f49579f@pc09.procura.nl
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:07:38 +0300, Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org> wrote:

> Hello Perl porters,
>
> we have a long-standing request [1] to set -Duse64bitint on the 32 bit
> Debian architectures. Now that there's going to be an ABI change with
> 5.12.0 this would be possible, but I'm wondering if it's the right thing
> to do.
>
> I'd be glad to hear any opinions and recommendations on this. I understand
> the downside is that the memory consumption of every IV slot doubles.
> Is this bad enough that use64bitint should not be enabled on a "general
> purpose" /usr/bin/perl ?

I personally find having 64bit integers available in 32bit perl when
possible outweigh the memory size. With files growing to sizes way
beyond 1970 imagination, adding up just a few file sizes already gets
over the 32bit limit. This is something happening every day. Same for
file offsets for files bigger than 2Gb which is quite common now.

I won't however not recommend to do or not to do it, as I have no
insight in how many implications this has on Debian.

I've built all my production perl's, also for customers, with 64bitint
where possible since 5.8.1

--
H.Merijn Brand  http://tux.nl      Perl Monger  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using & porting perl 5.6.2, 5.8.x, 5.10.x, 5.11.x on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00,