-Duse64bitint pros and cons

From:
Niko Tyni
Date:
April 15, 2010 01:39
Subject:
-Duse64bitint pros and cons
Message ID:
20100414180738.GA17934@madeleine.local.invalid
Hello Perl porters,

we have a long-standing request [1] to set -Duse64bitint on the 32 bit
Debian architectures. Now that there's going to be an ABI change with
5.12.0 this would be possible, but I'm wondering if it's the right thing
to do.

I'd be glad to hear any opinions and recommendations on this. I understand
the downside is that the memory consumption of every IV slot doubles.
Is this bad enough that use64bitint should not be enabled on a "general
purpose" /usr/bin/perl ?

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/310995

Thanks for any insight,
--