miniperl removal (Re: Slim core, battery suppliers [was: Try::Tiny in Core?])

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
April 8, 2010 12:02
Subject:
miniperl removal (Re: Slim core, battery suppliers [was: Try::Tiny in Core?])
Message ID:
m2tc9ab31fc1004081201u87f86068j2a25ba21e7943278@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Ben Morrow <ben@morrow.me.uk> wrote:

> This means we can get rid of miniperl, which simplifies the build
> (especially on Win32, where everything has to be copied and compiled
> twice).

miniperl is used for dozens of things, not just building extensions.
It runs mktables, it generates the utilities and much of the pod,
git_version.h, ppport.h, etc.  Of course it's likely that many of
those uses don't strictly require miniperl.  But I suspect it would be
a long slog teasing out all the dependencies on all platforms, and I'm
pretty sure not all the dependencies can actually be teased out.

I confess I don't understand why everything on Win32 currently has to
be done twice.  On VMS, it's the opposite; if we didn't have miniperl
there are things that we would have to start doing twice.