Re: Policy on Maintenance Releases; Perl 5.12.x maint plan

From:
David E. Wheeler
Date:
April 8, 2010 10:08
Re: Policy on Maintenance Releases; Perl 5.12.x maint plan
Message ID:
08F5A547-9DB1-445E-9EB3-557433AD8AE6@kineticode.com
On Apr 8, 2010, at 9:55 AM, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> Based on that discussion, these are the ground rules for future maint
> releases of Perl:

++100 # Great news, great list!

> Any committer may cherry-pick any commit from blead to maint-5.12 if
> they send mail to perl5-porters announcing their intent to cherry-pick
> a specific commit along with a rationale for doing so and at least two
> other committers respond to the list giving their assent. (This policy
> applies to current and former pumpkings, as well as other committers.)

That sounds reasonable. Perhaps a Changes list should be updated for each commit, too, as relevant, so that it's not so hard to re-assemble the list of changes before release?

> Perl 5.12.x release schedule:
>
> It's fairly common to find minor but annoying issues in a new major
> release of Perl just a couple days after we ship a .0 release.
> It is my intent to release Perl 5.12.1 roughly one month after we
> release 5.12.0.  This will mean freezing for 5.12.1-RC1 roughly 3 weeks
> after we release 5.12.0.  This, obviously, isn't much time, but with the
> new policies on what goes into maint and allowing porters to share the
> cherry-picking load, it's my hope and belief that it's not an
> implausible task.
>
> It is my intent that 5.12.2, 5.12.3 and 5.12.4 will follow over the
> course of the next year.  I plan to freeze blead for the release of
> Perl 5.14.0 early next spring.

All sounds great, Jesse. Thanks for taking this camel by the hump!

Best,

David