Re: RFC: Perl manual pages -- update to follow the perlstyle.pod guidelines

From:
Dilbert
Date:
April 3, 2010 17:39
Re: RFC: Perl manual pages -- update to follow the perlstyle.pod guidelines
Message ID:
1c3ff9e3-b493-4a57-9bff-e50723199f4b@5g2000yqj.googlegroups.com
On 3 avr, 04:00, tchr...@perl.com (Tom Christiansen) wrote:

> Believe me, beginners very much want to see parens surrounding function
> call arguments.

++ From Larry Wall: Any language that doesn’t occasionally surprise
++ the novice will pay for it by continually surprising the expert.

Putting parens into complex expressions is recommended style, I
believe we all (beginners and experts) agree on that.

For simple expressions, however, teaching beginners to put parens is
in my view bad practice. Therefore we should update the manual pages
for simple expressions to reflect that.