Re: Try::Tiny in Core?

From:
Abigail
Date:
April 1, 2010 07:07
Re: Try::Tiny in Core?
Message ID:
20100401140757.GG4812@almanda
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 08:51:55PM +0100, Alberto Simões wrote:
> Hey
>
> Don't want big discussion on it. I accept a "no" easily. But I think
> Try::Tiny would be a great addition to Perl 5.12
>
> Why?
>
> It makes error handling clean.
> It is small.
> It has a nice syntax.

We just have (well, we're still in) a discussion about removing old
modules. One argument for removal is that "those old modules are a
maintenance burden".

Adding Try::Tiny to the core now means that 10 or 15 years from now,
it's considered old, it's going to be marked "deprecated", and when
5.<whatever>-RC1 is out, you will start complaining "Heh, my old script
that I haven't touched for 10 years suddenly starts throwing warnings -
what is the reason *this* library needs to go", while the people now in
4th grade will call you a dinosaur, and if you want 5.12, you know where
to get it.

Personnally, I'd say that if a module isn't closely tied to the core,
or needed in the build process, it shouldn't be in the core.

Abigail