develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2009

Re: [fwd] [perl.git] branch blead, updated. v5.11.3-15-gbdaf0bc(from: jesse@bestpractical.com)

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
December 31, 2009 13:12
Re: [fwd] [perl.git] branch blead, updated. v5.11.3-15-gbdaf0bc(from: jesse@bestpractical.com)
Message ID:
20091231210824.GA431@klangraum.plasmasturm.org
* jesse <jesse@fsck.com> [2009-12-30 21:55]:
> (That C<-a> tells git to add every file you've changed to this
> commit. If you want to commit some, but not all of your
> changes, have a look at the documentation for C<git add>.)

If you’re going to explain this, then I think it’s important to
tell people that `-a` won’t add new files, rather than let them
learn this by way of a few oopses:

    (The C<-a> switch tells git to include every file you've
    changed in this commit. Note that it won't include new files!
    If you have new files or you want to commit only some, but
    not all of your changes, have a look at the documentation for
    C<git add>.)

> Your commit message should start with a description of the
> problem that the patch corrects or new functionality that the
> patch adds.

I think this isn’t explicit enough, and I think it should say
something like this:

    Write a concise summary of the problem that your patch
    corrects or new functionality that your patch adds on the
    first line of your commit message.

    In many circumstances, git shows only this first line; think
    of it as the subject line of the commit message. If your
    patch needs more explanation, write it out after a blank line
    following the subject.

Regards,