develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2009

Re: Pod::Abstract 0.19 generating warnings on 5.11.3

From:
demerphq
Date:
December 29, 2009 04:05
Re: Pod::Abstract 0.19 generating warnings on 5.11.3
Message ID:
9b18b3110912290405n6390e399k9a8a80f59d975167@mail.gmail.com
2009/12/28 Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de>:
> * demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> [2009-12-28 13:20]:
>> Actually there are two schools of thought on this one.
>>
>> Which is "correct" is arguable/debatable.
>
> It’s only arguable in practice, because the available solutions
> all suck in different ways.

I think it is arguable because the different options answer slightly
different questions.

> There is however no inherent reason for solutions to suck.

I agree that it sucks that the solutions are as a whole cumbersome and/or ugly.

> Scalar::Util could contain a routine that does the desired check correctly,

Which check?

The "role" check?
The strict class-inheritance check?
The "is this a valid class name (or object)" check?
The "what base underlying class are you" check?
Or the "which forms of dereferencing do you support" check?

Consider that depending on circumstances any of the above could be
what you want to ask, and for any given object the answers may vary
wildly.

> making it shorter to write than any of the alternatives.

s/it/them/

> And if the core provided a way to install
> XSUBs as ops, then the right way could even be faster than the
> broken way.

Well thats an entirely different and very cool subject of discussion :-)

yves