develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2009

Re: Pod::Abstract 0.19 generating warnings on 5.11.3

From:
hv
Date:
December 28, 2009 03:43
Re: Pod::Abstract 0.19 generating warnings on 5.11.3
Message ID:
200912281139.nBSBdnWw013166@zen.crypt.org
Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de> wrote:
:* Jerry D. Hedden <jdhedden@cpan.org> [2009-12-23 20:00]:
:> No, isa() and can() should not be called as procedures. They
:> are methods: $item->isa('thing') for example.
:
:Mind that you also have to wrap those in `eval` or guard them
:with a `blessed` check. Would be nice if core shipped functions
:to wrap up the correct behaviour concisely and efficiently…
:related to the Scalar::Util-inspired discussion about having
:a way to make XSUBs into ops.

FWIW I have copies of this scattered around various codebases:
    sub _isa {
        my($val, $class) = @_;
        eval { $val->can('isa') }
            ? $val->isa($class)
            : UNIVERSAL::isa($val, $class);
    }

I'd love not to need it any more, but I don't see how to get there from here.

Hugo