develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2009

Re: Pod::Abstract 0.19 generating warnings on 5.11.3

From:
Gabor Szabo
Date:
December 23, 2009 10:37
Re: Pod::Abstract 0.19 generating warnings on 5.11.3
Message ID:
d8a74af10912231037q1d778301n86cb03b3f208257c@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 06:56:12PM +0200, Gabor Szabo wrote:
>> While trying to build Pod::Abstract  0.19
>> http://search.cpan.org/~blilburne/Pod-Abstract-0.19/
>> on perl 5.11.3 I got the following warning:
>>
>> UNIVERSAL->import is deprecated and will be removed in a future perl
>> at ..../perl/lib/site_perl/5.11.3/Pod/Abstract/Path.pm line 7
>>
>> The module installs but then another module fails its test as it
>> checks it STDERR and now it
>> has unexpected output on it.
>>
>> Do I understand correctly that best course of action is to notify the
>> author of Pod::Abstract ask him to stop importing the
>> functions from UNIVERSAL ?
>
> Yes. It would be very useful if you could do this. I'm not sure what
> the exact fix needs to be in this case.

It seems that

use UNIVERSAL;

generates the same warning so I had to write

use UNIVERSAL ();

and then replace the calls to isa()  and can() by
UNIVERSAL::isa() and UNIVERSAL::can()

Would that be the recommended way of using them?

Gabor