develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2009

Re: Smoke [5.11.2] v5.11.2-170-g4342f4d FAIL(F) openvms V8.3-1H1 (IA64/2 cpu)

From:
jesse
Date:
December 18, 2009 12:06
Re: Smoke [5.11.2] v5.11.2-170-g4342f4d FAIL(F) openvms V8.3-1H1 (IA64/2 cpu)
Message ID:
20091218200557.GM27800@bestpractical.com

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 01:48:51PM -0600, Craig A. Berry wrote:

> >Shortly after this smoke, xdg checked in an update to Module::Build
> >which, hopefully, will solve some of the fails below.
>
> Some I think, yes.  There's a later smoke now posted to the list
> (though I can't find a URL for it yet).

Indeed. The timing was...impressive.

> >If not, a verbose failure report would be stellar.
>
> I'll try to write up what I know about what's still failing.  I've
> been juggling multiple things in crunch mode lately and unable to get
> any time for Perl fixes.

Understood. We're all volunteers.

> >On a somewhat-related note, I've managed to get myself set up with a
> >"hobbyist" copy of PersonalAlpha and with VMS media. I can boot and
> >login, but I'm without license keys. Do we have a friendly source of
> >VMS
> >keys these days or should I be trying to sign up for DECUS or its
> >successor?
>
> You'll need a free DECUSserve membership in order to get free hobbyist
> licenses.  See
>
> <http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1416>
>
> It's all perfectly legal as long as you're not using the system for
> commercial purposes.

Yep. Thanks for the link.

> PersonalAlpha is the free version of a very impressive emulation
> product.  Bear in mind that it's true emulation, though, not
> hypervisor-style virtualization, so it will be much, much slower than
> the host system.  The free version is also limited to a miniscule
> slice of memory by today's standards (I think it's 256MB).  Basically
> it's designed to be a drop-in replacement for a mid-1990s workstation,
> and it does that admirably.  It is possible to do a build of a recent
> Perl on one of these (I've done it) but it might take 12-24 hours
> depending on the host system.

*nod* I've definitely put in my time building software on emulated
platforms. (Most recently, Perl, Python and Qt on an emulated ARM with
128MB of RAM). My intent is to get a single build of Perl up and running
so I can at least _investigate_ the fails we see.