develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2009

Re: What to show when user wants to know how while/if/until etc work?

From:
Gabor Szabo
Date:
December 12, 2009 11:27
Re: What to show when user wants to know how while/if/until etc work?
Message ID:
d8a74af10912121127lc0fb932ta654789b267d4360@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de> wrote:
> * Gabor Szabo <szabgab@gmail.com> [2009-12-06 17:15]:
>> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
>> >How about you link to either one of these, depending on the
>> >case:
>> >
>> >   http://perldoc.perl.org/perlsyn.html#Statement-Modifiers
>> >   http://perldoc.perl.org/perlsyn.html#Compound-Statements
>>
>> Yes we *link* there but what do we *show* ? Those two have too
>> much information for someone who just wants to write a simple
>> script and needs to understand the syntax of 'foreach'.
>
> What do the existing tooltips show? Do you show the full
> `perlfunc` entry for functions? (I ask because some of them are
> quite long also.) What’s the precedent here?

They are showing some text I made up that we keep in a yaml file.
It should be moved out from the Padre repository and improved or
replaced by the text extracted from perlfunc.

Gabor