develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2009

Re: deprecation of defined(%hash)

From:
Sean
Date:
December 10, 2009 04:18
Re: deprecation of defined(%hash)
Message ID:
289557.34815.qm@web32505.mail.mud.yahoo.com
> Assuming you mean defined %hash, where %hash is a package variable,

Right -- I was thinking of a symbolic reference.

> If anything, this feature feels more like it should be spelled "exists",
> which I think would be consistent semantics with exists &f

This seems like a good idea -- make "exists $x", "exists @x", and "exists %x"
check the existence of the corresponding glob entry (or lexical?) without auto-
vivifying anything.  Since these uses just die now, the change won't break anything.
Maybe it's worth after 5.12.

/s