develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2009

Re: PATCH make mktables run less often

From:
demerphq
Date:
December 9, 2009 12:27
Re: PATCH make mktables run less often
Message ID:
9b18b3110912091227w1e2bb8eare068c94988168c44@mail.gmail.com
2009/11/24 karl williamson <public@khwilliamson.com>:
> Attached is a patch to cut down the frequency of mktables running.  It turns
> out the problem was a combination of both Makefile and mktables. I didn't
> realize that the files I removed were listed as dependencies in Makefile, so
> it always thought it was out-of-date, and called mktables. Part of the old
> code I hadn't changed caused mktables to remove all the files when called
> with the -makelist option.  This code is no longer necessary, so I removed
> it.
>
> I also changed Makefile to always call mktables, to let it decide if it
> actually should recompile.  I just commented it out for easy reversal. The
> problem is that mktables depends on almost 800 files, located in the To and
> lib subdirectories, and Makefile doesn't know about them all; and they
> change from Unicode release to release.  I'm assuming mktables.lst was
> created because of the issues of trying to get them all known by Makefile.

Yes, and also because we used to basically just generate them all, and
there was no list, we just had dependencies on a few files, and for
some irritating reason mktables would run like, umm, 6 times on win32.
And so back in the day it used to regenerate everything each of those
six times. So i taught it about the list of files and made it more
intelligent so that it doing things over and over turns into a noop on
following runs. Please dont make it too slow, in particular certain
stat calls on win32 are effectively a file open on every file in the
tree. If you do do that pleasee enable sloppy stat.

cheers,
Yves