develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2009

What to show when user wants to know how while/if/until etc work?

From:
Gabor Szabo
Date:
December 6, 2009 01:05
Subject:
What to show when user wants to know how while/if/until etc work?
Message ID:
d8a74af10912060105t29e58b7bmac383050a5a31bf3@mail.gmail.com
In the Padre project we are trying to provide context sensitive help for
every keyword, variable, operator and other syntactic elements of Perl.

We would prefer to fetch everything from the pod documentation that comes
with perl but we have issues with several keywords.

What should we show when the user wants to know what is 'while',
'for','foreach',
'until', 'if', 'unless' and probably others. Mind you,
http://perldoc.perl.org has the
same issue. It does find the above keywords either.

Surprisingly continue does have an entry in perlfunc and thus is displayed.

There are now the X<> tags but I think they are ot used and they are
still showing
too much information  for someone who only needs the basics.

What do you suggest? What should we display?
Should someone send small patched to add these keywords to perlfunc with
some minimal description and pointers to the already existing more extensive
descriptions?
Other suggestions?

Gabor