develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2009

Speeding up mktables; NYTprof

From:
karl williamson
Date:
November 25, 2009 21:33
Subject:
Speeding up mktables; NYTprof
Message ID:
4B0E1329.6020408@khwilliamson.com
Nicholas Clark wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Also, you mentioned Encode and the files it generated. I found a lot of scope
> for optimisation within enc2xs, which dramatically decreased its memory use
> and run time, without needing large fundamental design changes to how it
> worked. And I managed that with only Devel::DProf. I'm curious what can be
> achieved with Devel::NYTProf on mktables. (Which is a task that is within
> the skill set of any of the 600 subscribers to this list. I'm hoping that it
> might appeal to at least one.)

So, I tried it with NYTProf.  As I expected (I had used DProf earlier),
the highest usage subroutine was my pure Perl version of
Scalar::Util::refaddr, reproduced below.  A third of the total time was
spent in this routine.  (This is required because miniperl doesn't do
dynamic loading, so refaddr is not available.)

When I was writing mktables, I was under the impression that refaddr
would be brought into the core for 5.12.  There was an agreement to that
effect, but I guess no one ever got around to actually doing it.

When I run this under perl instead of miniperl, and change objaddr to
just return refaddr, the combination still takes quite a lot of time.
If refaddr were in the core would it be in-lined?

I found a few surprises; I haven't pored over the results, though.  One
is that I left in a trace statement that got to the trace subroutine
before discovering that it had nothing to do.  This added not very much
time.

Based on looking at existing code in utf8_heavy.pl, I had presumed that
the Perl optimizer would remove code that depended on a constant
subroutine that returns false.  That is, 'foo if DEBUG' would be
optimized away if there was a line: 'sub Debug { 0 }'  But that appears
to not be the case.

There were more string evals than I expected, though the total time did
not add up to all that much.  I couldn't find a way in NYTProf to
highlight those.

There are two columns in the nytprofhtml output for subroutines that I
can't figure out what they mean, and saw no documentation for, 'P' and 'F'.

I also did not see anything there for memory usage.  I don't know how
Perl handles using up too much memory.  The old mktables kept all its
tables in memory, and so I felt free to do so as well.  But the new
mktables handles quite a few more tables than the old one.  I would
think you would get thrashing if the memory usage got too big.  I wonder
if Steve's machine doesn't have much memory.  When I run mktables using
perl instead of miniperl, I get execution times between 30 and 40 seconds.