develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2009

Embedding Perl but redefining its malloc()

From:
Raphael Manfredi
Date:
September 24, 2009 06:14
Subject:
Embedding Perl but redefining its malloc()
Message ID:
11319.1253798040@nice.ram.loc
Hello,

I'm currently seriously considering embedding a Perl interpreter in one
of my C programs, to be able to benefit from all the good things Perl
brings us.

I have been away from the Perl development community for quite some years
now and I have not been following closely how Perl5 evolved.

Is there an easy way to redefine Perl's malloc() routine to use that of my
C program, which uses a custom malloc?

I'm not talking about having a new malloc() routine defining the
malloc symbol.  I'm talking about whether Perl uses a "virtual table"
for memory allocation, and whether I could redefine this virtual table
to supply malloc(), realloc() and free() function pointers, so that the
embedded Perl interpreter would use my custom memory allocation routines.

Thanks,
Raphael