Re: The plan for ext/ and dual-life modules

From:
Tim Jenness
Date:
Re: The plan for ext/ and dual-life modules
Message ID:
5D4EF162-236D-4C92-BD67-A70A2B8DA968@jach.hawaii.edu

On Aug 30, 2009, at 1:40 PM, David Golden wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Yuval
> Kogman<nothingmuch@woobling.org> wrote:
>> IMHO the logical next step is to use submodules[1] for the
>> directories
>> in ext/, allowing the maintainers to keep separate repositories for
>> each core module in the main git server.
>
> After reading all the debate, I think the logical next step is to use
> submodule/subtree for *ONE* directory in ext and see how that goes and
> what we learn from it.

so submodules mean that my repository history is retained, whereas
subtrees retain the history of my modules as seen from the perl
repository? sub-trees imply to me that patches can't be pulled
directly from my repository. I may be wrong though.

--
Tim Jenness
Joint Astronomy Centre