Re: The plan for ext/ and dual-life modules

From:
Tim Jenness
Date:
Re: The plan for ext/ and dual-life modules
Message ID:
alpine.LRH.2.00.0908301327170.13160@vvjv
On Sat, 29 Aug 2009, Yuval Kogman wrote:

> IMHO the logical next step is to use submodules[1] for the directories
> in ext/, allowing the maintainers to keep separate repositories for
> each core module in the main git server.

I'm in favour of this with a couple of caveats. We use submodules for our
big open source astronomy project (http://starlink.jach.hawaii.edu/git)
and the only two things that have bitten us are:

  1. Realising too late that replacing a pre-existing subdirectory
     with a submodule leads to much pain and suffering when checking
     out branches that cross the commit that included the submodule (I'm
     assuming this is because git can't remove built files when trying
     to replace the submodule with a directory in an old commit)

  2. We had to write a script for people that would run
     'git submodule update' for them in a safe manner.

other than that they've been a great boon to development.

Tim

--
Tim Jenness
JAC software