Re: [DOC] Modernization: perlsyn

From:
Abigail
Date:
Re: [DOC] Modernization: perlsyn
Message ID:
20090830213415.GG17759@almanda
On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 09:04:43PM -0400, Christopher Nehren wrote:

> FWIW, it probably makes sense to use the style documented in perlstyle
> where it's applicable (and in line with the current goals), for the sake
> of consistency. For this issue, perlstyle suggests the rather Strunkian
> "Omit redundant punctuation as long as clarity doesn’t suffer." We
> should strive to be consistent above all else, so as to enhance clarity
> and reduce confusion.

Actually, I'm not so sure I agree with the "We should strive to be
consistent". Perl allows you to do things in more than one way. Hence,
the documentation shouldn't shy away from showing multiple ways to do
things. I'd say that if to do X, one commonly finds three ways of doing
things (for instance $hash {BAR}, $hash {'BAR'}, and $hash {"BAR"}),
it would be OK for the documentation to use all three styles, and we
shouldn't pick one style and exclude the other three.

Exclude things that are uncommon, illogical, or inefficient. But don't
go for "consistent above all else". That's Pythons turf, not Perls.

Abigail