Re: The plan for ext/ and dual-life modules

From:
Yuval Kogman
Date:
Re: The plan for ext/ and dual-life modules
Message ID:
a891e1bd0908291758y14c8c5b2yceebe94777e334fa@mail.gmail.com
2009/8/30 Mark Mielke <mark@mark.mielke.cc>:

> Don't SVN externals require a commit to update? Or are you talking about
> externals based on LATEST or something unreproducible? :-)

Honestly I don't know what svn does, I never used that, but people
seem to be continually disappointed by the fact that git submodules
don't "automatically" do things.

They are not a deployment tool or a way to organize a central
repository into several loosely coupled standalone units (e.g. an SVN
repo with a bunch of paths, one per subproject, each containing
{trunk,branches,tags}, something git can't really provide easily),
they are a tool for integrating standalone subprojects into a
downstream project (e.g. a vendor branch).

The overall disappointment with submodules seems to be that people
want loosely coupled subprojects that can all be checked out at once
or separately and updated at once, creating vendor branches isn't
exactly a common operation.