Re: [DOC] Modernization: perlsyn

From:
Ben Morrow
Date:
Re: [DOC] Modernization: perlsyn
Message ID:
20090829194404.GA34826@osiris.mauzo.dyndns.org
Quoth flavio@polettix.it (Flavio Poletti):

> I tried to tidy up perlsyn and there was luckly little to do IMHO. According
> to http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob/HEAD:/pod/perlrepository.pod I
> decided to use GitHub, so it seems that I need to provide the following:
>
> http://github.com/polettix/perl/tree/modern
> git@github.com:polettix/perl.git branch modern
>
> Each change comes with a commit of its own, in order to better document it
> all:
>
> http://github.com/polettix/perl/commits/modern/

First of all, thanks for doing this. Tidying up documentation is always
a thankless task, and since you're concentrating on stylistic changes
rather than actual bugs I'm sure you'll get more than your share of
indignant bikeshedding. Please don't let it discourage you.

That said, let me begin the bikeshedding by saying that I really hate
the {'BAR'} style of hash element (as opposed to simply {BAR}). A quick
check

    perl% perl -nE'/\{\s*(["\47]?)\w+\1\s*\}/ and say $1' pod/* |
        sort | uniq -c
    1128
      70 "
     178 '

suggests the core docs agree with me (some of those are false positives
on things like *FOO{IO}, of course).

> Things I hope to remember in the future:

If you're interested in review, then posting patches would be helpful.
It would probably be better to post something like that branch you have
their as a single diff for the sake of review, even though the commits
will hopefully be pulled separately.

Ben