Re: The plan for ext/ and dual-life modules

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
Re: The plan for ext/ and dual-life modules
Message ID:
b77c1dce0908290946gb082ad6n9153934bac639b7a@mail.gmail.com
2009/8/29 Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch@woobling.org>:
> IMHO the logical next step is to use submodules[1] for the directories
> in ext/, allowing the maintainers to keep separate repositories for
> each core module in the main git server.

I tend to prefer git-subtree, but it's only because I've heard bad
things about submodules.

Alternatively dual-life module maintainers can be granted commit. I've
created a branch dual/Safe for the very purpose of dual-maintaining
Safe.pm.

> The reason I bring this up now is that it might be helpful to already
> make use of this process for completing the various layout
> changes/fixups, allowing authors to treat the two divergent trees as
> mergeable histories without too much fuss.
>

> In the long term this would make the process of bringing a core module
> up to date fairly simple:
>
> all prep work would happen in the module's repository by its
> maintainer (either in the master branch or in a specialized "core"
> branch for integration).
>
> the actual update operation for perl.git is a matter of bringing that
> module's tree up to date (e.g. using git pull) running git commit in
> the parent directory (creating a new commit in perl.git).
>

> The biggest problem I see is that submodules are somewhat reliant on
> stable repository URIs, so I suppose all core modules would need
> git://perl5.git.perl.org/Core-Module.git URIs.

So we'd need to host clones for each dual-life module ? (That's not a
problem but I just want to make it clearer)

--
"You don't mean odds and ends, you mean des curieux et des bouts",
corrected the manager.