Re: The plan for ext/ and dual-life modules

From:
Yuval Kogman
Date:
Re: The plan for ext/ and dual-life modules
Message ID:
a891e1bd0908290629i46d5f9bq611dbb9dfc47a849@mail.gmail.com
2009/8/29 Rafael Garcia-Suarez <rgarciasuarez@gmail.com>:

> +1 too. That might need fixes in Configure and the build systems.
> (notably -Dnoextesions/-Donlyextensions, and the ability to drop CPAN
> distributions in ext/ to have them built with perl)

Could module interdependencies be resolved automatically using
META.yml? I suppose CPAN.pm's code could be reused for something like
that (sort of like running `cpan .` but without using tarballs/the
index, only build dirs)?

All I see WRT prereq handling right now is $ENV{SKIP_FOR_CORE} hiding
PREREQ_PM, so I'm guessing all of the modules can be build in one
'make' pass and then all of them tested in one 'make test' pass such
that the blibs of all modules are all available before anything is
tested, but of course arbitrary CPAN modules obviously have issues
with build_requires/configure_requires.