Full Unicode semantics at every level [was RE: [perl #45673] parsing in eval() varies with UTF8ness]

From:
Jan Dubois
Date:
August 26, 2009 17:17
Subject:
Full Unicode semantics at every level [was RE: [perl #45673] parsing in eval() varies with UTF8ness]
Message ID:
003301ca26ab$aafc3940$00f4abc0$@com
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, demerphq wrote:
> We have debated on p5p the subtleties of encoding, characters,
> semantics, etc in the last few years, and came to some kind of general
> consensus that the way forward was to assume full unicode semantics at
> every level, as every other option sucks much much worse. Perhaps you
> missed these debates, or their conclusions. I for one would not
> welcome reopening these debates.

Did anybody summarize these conclusions somewhere?  Or can you at least
point to the key list messages that give an overview on what was agreed
to before?

Getting to "full Unicode semantics at every level" sounds like a huge
undertaking. Unless we get rid of the SvUTF8 flag and indiscriminately
store all strings internally as UTF8, we would have to modify
virtually *all* APIs that currently take char* arguments and replace
them with SV*s, including all the OS level wrappings, like access
to the environment and file system.

Cheers,
-Jan